World Renewal International

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Old Friends



I got an interesting phone call today from an old friend. We went to college at Asbury together. I had not talked to him in many decades. We had lost touch almost from the time we left college. It was great to hear his voice and more important, his testimony of God's love and faithfulness in his life. He described some awful moments in his life since I had seen him. This was followed by the discription of stubbornness of his parents and God to not give up on him.


I have really been blown away all day by the conversation. We had traveled in a ministry team called "God's Squad." (Pictured for your amusement, I am back and center.) Yes, it was the early 1970's. God had called all four of us to preach and had gifted us to do it. God used us in church after church to draw people to himself. It was so much fun. We did not know very much, but we had been through the Asbury Revival of 1970. We would share our witness of being there and often revival would follow our witness. It was amazing and wonderful. I am reminded that "God's power shows up best in our weakness." 2 Cor. 12:9 He did show up and it was often in our weaknesses, which from my view we often put on display.


All of us have been pastors. Only one is out of the vocational ministry right now. I know from talking to the others we have had times when we were out of God's will in our lives, but we have never been out of His care. Thanks for the reminder today Lord!


DID YOU KNOW? A Harvard study showed that after the age of 65 only one in 700,000 Christians made the decision to give their life to Christ? I can think of so many who did not follow that statistics in our years of ministry. May Jesus Christ be praised. Thanks for stopping by.
:: posted by Gary Wright, 3:26 PM

1 Comments:

I am glad you got to have such a conversation. I like your site.
Anonymous Anonymous, at February 22, 2007 at 9:04 AM  

Add a comment