World Renewal International

Friday, March 9, 2007

Amazing Grace


Today, Carol and I and our son, Micah, went to see the movie "Amazing Grace." It was a powerful movie. It is the story of William Wilberforce and his successful crusade for abolition of slavery in Great Britain. I am still digesting the experience. I thought I went fairly prepared as I had studied the story before going. Nevertheless, it seemed I was not prepared to encounter many of the feelings and emotions I had during the film.


I must admit I felt for Wilberforce and the passion and responsibility he felt which was thrust upon him to change the world. That passion and his burden seemed to make him physically ill, colitis. It seems it takes that kind of passion and drive to accomplish some things in this world. Few seem willing to care that much.


I was reminded how important a helpmate can be at strategic moments in the battle. His wife came into his life just when he may have given up. She encouraged him not to quit and it was in that renewed energy the goal was accomplished.


I was a little overwhelmed by the connection Wilberforce had with John Newton, the writer of the hymn "Amazing Grace." I am fairly well read on Newton's life. Nevertheless, the fact that Newton, a former captain of a slave ship, was Wilberforce's pastor when he was young was such a powerful part of God's plan. Newton's participation in the slavery industry was too heavy of a burden for Newton to bear. However, his influence on Wilberforce was a wonderful way for God to ease his troubled heart for the 20,000 slaves he delivered. His challenge to Wilberforce was that of a man of similar burning passion Wilberforce displayed. Iron sharpens iron. Newton could not make up for what he had done. As my wife said, "Think of all the pastors young Wilberforce could have had, but he had Newton." God is truly the "Master of Design."


The awfulness of slavery was clarified well. It made the problems we face in the Caribbean more distinct and clear. I often feel in those countries, "Where do you start?" Sin begets sin, even when you are the victim. The horrors of sin are widely underestimated. When I see the hopeful eyes of the children such as the one pictured in Haiti today, I am reminded that God is the Master Designer. "Lord Jesus, help us to not quit, help us to be wise."


If you have not seen the movie, I hope you will take the time to experience it.


Thanks for stopping by.
:: posted by Gary Wright, 8:13 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment