World Renewal International

Friday, March 23, 2007

One Name Man



Have you ever been around some one who just kept coming back to the same topic over and over again? They seem to be stuck? We warn short-term missionaries during debriefing, "Do not constantly say the name of the country you have just experienced. Go home and talk about Jesus not the country you have served him in." It is wasted breath at times. They go home and talk about Brazil, Mexico or Haiti until their families hate the country and mission trips simply because of a lack of wisdom of how to channel their passion. It happens all the time. If you are the one who had a great eye opening experience on the mission field it is so easy to make this mistake. Christ has changed your life. Your eyes have been opened to something, someone, you did not know existed. You really feel it. You may even feel called of God to do something about it. You want to shout at the top of your lungs, "Children in Haiti are starving!" We Americans are mad because they forgot the cheese on our double-cheeseburger. Believe me, I empathize with that passion! However, we function best when that passion is channeled at the world we live in by the Holy Spirit.
Nevertheless, I find amusing Paul's over use of a name in 1 Corinthians 1:2-9.

I send this letter to you in God's church in Corinth,
Christians cleaned up by Jesus and set apart for a God-filled life. I include in my greeting all who call on Jesus. wherever they live, He's their Master as well as ours!


May all the gifts and benefits that come from God our Father, and
the Master, Jesus Christ, be yours.


Every time I think of you--- and I think of your often!---I thank God for your lives of free and open access to God, given by Jesus. There's no end to what has happened in you---it's beyond speech, beyond knowledge. The evidence of Christ has been clearly verified in your lives.


Just think---you don't need a thing, you've got it all! All God's gifts are right in front of you as you wait expectantly for our Master Jesus to arrive on the scene for the Finale. And not only that, but God himself is right alongside to keep you steady and on track until things are all wrapped by Jesus. God, who got you started in this spiritual adventure, shares with us the life of his Son and our Master Jesus. He will never give up on you. Never forget that.

This guy could hardly write a single sentence without saying the name
"Jesus." Many great Christians have predominately been a "one book man
or woman." It means that they may have appreciated other books but
they mostly read the Bible. My dad was pretty much a "one book guy." In fact he used to say, "The Bible sure sheds a lot of light on those commentaries." I can hear him laugh a bit as I tell you. I remember many mornings seeing him on his knees in front of the foot stool and on that foot stool was "the book." The longer he lived the more he read other books and benefited from them. However, it was still clear, there was one book in his life that was dominate. If as a child I laid something on top of that book, I was scolded for lack of respect of that book. I soon got the message, "Don't mess with "the book."


Come to think of it, Dad was a "one name guy" too. I wonder how many times he used that name "Jesus" when he preached? Too many to count, even though I probably counted them sometime while sitting there. I wonder if those two things are connected? One book, one name people? Maybe the world needs some more "one book," "one name" type of men and women. I know this, we could sure use some more Gene Wrights in this world! I was just thinking and wondering.

Thanks for stopping by.







:: posted by Gary Wright, 9:02 PM

1 Comments:

AMEN Gary. We all need to stick more to the one man, one book life. Thanks for sharing this.
Blogger Donna, at March 24, 2007 at 11:05 PM  

Add a comment