World Renewal International

Thursday, March 1, 2007

Why Prayer?


I have been seeking to understand more about prayer. I want to be more effective in my prayer life. I want to be more fruitful when I teach and preach about prayer. Prayer, why did God set it up this way?

I know it has to do with relationship. I know that communication is the key in any healthy relationship. It is about my journey, my daily walk and relationship with God. Matthew wrote that God does not want vain repetition, yet our Lord wants us to constantly pray according to Paul. The result should be dependence on God. He wants us to be totally dependant on Him. Doesn't the Bible teach that I am more mature when I am more dependant on God? Is that really true? He is my Heavenly Father. Is there such a thing as dysfunctional dependence on God? Can I be too dependent on God? We see people every day who never become independent of there parents, it is a dysfunctional dependence. Can that happen between human beings and God? What is healthy dependence on God? Am I ever supposed to be independent from God?

The answer seems to be one that we often do not like. It defies method, program and "cookie cutter" religion that we seem to crave or are drawn to.

Paul wrote to the Philippians, "In everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace that transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ." He wrote to the Colossi ans to "devout yourselves to prayer being watchful and thankful." Nothing true in God's Kingdom is ever dysfunctional. However, I see a lot of dysfunction today when it comes to what we seem to claim and exhibit about prayer.

He is my Father. He is the groom, we the church, are His bride. Healthy, functional communication should follow that intimate level of communication. As a Father, I communicate with each one of my children differently. What is successful with one, may not be with another. What is appropriate with one may not be possible with another. They are different personalities with different needs. The more mature, the less likely I am to say, "I think you should do...." My questions my be more important than my answers. I certainly talk different to my grandsons, pictured today, than to my children. My grandson Addison's favorite word at my house last visit was "Mine!." My son the philosophy David would say, "What do you really mean when you say, "Mine?" Talking to them requires a different approach. So it is with my Heavenly Father, we talk different than we did when I was 20,30,40, 50 than we do when I am now 55. My listening is more important than my talking. Yet it needs to be without ceasing.

My wife and I have been married 35 years. We are totally different personalities. Nevertheless, after all these years we laugh at how much we think alike. Communication at this stage is so different than when we were in our twenties. We talk more than ever to one another. We make decisions together. I would not want to take her for granted in the choices I make. I would ask her opinion even if I think I know what she will say. I have learned she will sometimes say, "Have you thought about ....?, and it is something I have not even considered.

I think that is why He wants us to pray. When He says "being watchful" that is when He would say, "Have you thought about...?" That is a long way from the "Gimme, Gimme," repetitive pleas of a child in the shopping cart at the store begging and hoping they can wear down the parent for what they want.

Thanks for stopping by.

:: posted by Gary Wright, 2:36 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment