World Renewal International

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Don't Be So Clingy!

(The picture above is a combination of the original Brandywine Community Church Worship Team and WRI's Renewal. Left to Right is Doug Newnum, Pastor Mark Wright, lady in black slacks in middle is Kathy Wright and far right is Gary Wallen. They are doing an outdoor evangelistic event at Damascus Friends Church in northeastern Ohio. Looking at my brother, Pastor Mark's pants reminds us that some things do need to be left in the past.)


One of the most touching scenes in the Easter story takes place outside the tomb between Jesus and Mary Magdalene. It is obvious Mary is one of those Jesus was talking about when he said that those who had many sins to be forgiven would love Him the most. Her devotion to Him and her pain at His loss are evident. Thinking He was the gardener John wrote that she said, "Sir, if you have taken him away, tell me where you have put him, and I will go and get him." "Mary!" "She turned toward him and exclaimed, ('Rabboni!') which meant Teacher." Then Jesus said something very, very interesting to her. He said, "Don't cling to me... but go find my brothers and tell them." Don't cling to me? "Cling" is the English word used in the NLT and it is accurate. He was actually saying "Don't hold on to who I have been to you, we must go on to the next step." He actually said he must "ascend to the Father." That was the next step for Him and for her to adjust and grow into. Whew! It seems to me it would have been nice to have let her catch her breath a little. However, that's probably just self-projection on my part. "Lord, can I stay at this level just for a little while? Huh? Please?"


Like Becky Moore says, He gets a little bossy at times. He makes us move on. Oh, He always gives us a choice, but if we are obedient we move with His encouragement. I suppose when we have been hurt by someone, or a situation like Mary M. had been, we want to cling to what was. Now He says, "Pick 'em up, Move 'em out!" We say, "Would you just wait a minute and let me recover!" It's kind of like having open heart surgery and then they want you to get up and walk about as soon as your eyes open from surgery. Hmmm! Open heart surgery, yep, it is the same thing!


Thanks for stopping by.
:: posted by Gary Wright, 7:21 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment