World Renewal International

Monday, April 16, 2007

How? not "Why?"

(Picture-Barclay College, Haviland, Kansas)
Today my heart goes out to the folks directly affected by the horrible slayings at Virginia Tech. So many young lives lost and with each one so much heartache. I am reminded by we Christians often used phrase, "How do people get through this sort of thing without Christ." The truth is many do not. Damage is done scars form, wounds go unhealed and lives are not only never the same again, but many will never recover to emotional, mental and spiritual health. Many will turn to distractions for their pain that will only bring more pain. Alcohol, drugs, immoral sexual pleasure all will probably be abused in the future to try and cure the hurt.

God is good. But all of us have been not so good at times and we have all been quite sinful. When in trouble we often turn to comforts that are sinful and bring even more discomfort. The enemy wants to use the painful hurts of today to bring even more pain. He does not play fair, he cheats and kicks people when they are down.

When I was in my late twenties I became the pastor of a college church in Haviland, Kansas. I will, along with my brother Pastor Mark, and Pastor Hubert Nolen and others, speak at the college this week for a Summit on Church Planting. Haviland is a small town in south central Kansas. Barclay College is a small Bible college that has managed to produce many great Christian leaders, some vocational ministers such as pastors and missionaries. The college has also produced school teachers and administrators, business personnel and farmers with Bible degrees. The college has been small but mighty. (For more information on the college or Summit for Church Planting see www.barclaycollege.edu)

In my first week of being the pastor of this church that was host to the Bible college, I was told that I should go visit Tommy Thompson. He was the public school Superintendent. He was in the hospital and he was dying of cancer. I was new on the job and only 29 to start with. I hardly knew anything of what I did not know. I did not know that when I walked into Tommy's hospital room, I was entering the room of a spiritual giant. Oh, people had tried to explain, but those things are kind of hard to communicate and I am sure I did not know who I was really meeting. I did recognize that he was a great man, and I tried to learn from him over the next few visits. However, at that time I didn't even know what the right questions were.

I don't know what I said to him or what I prayed when I prayed with him. I am sure when I left the room Tommy probably told the Lord that HE had a big job ahead of HIM with that kid! However, he never let me know if he felt that way. He did say words to me that I remember and always will.

Tommy had married, dedicated babies for and with almost everyone in the community. Yes, he was the Superintendent of the public schools, but he also pastored churches and and was deeply loved and respected by the people of this Kansas community. He officiated and preached the funerals of so many. Basically you could say he was there to dedicate them when they were born, perform their weddings and send them off when they died. In between he lead them to Christ and helped them get an education at the public schools or Bible college. The reputation he had of being a guy you wanted there on such an occasions was well earned and deserved. He was a true man of God.

Now, Tommy lay on his death bed. His pastor a youngster. He said, "Gary I am telling myself the same thing I have told others all these years when they were facing life's greatest challenges. Make sure you are asking the right questions. The right question is not "Why? Why, Me?" Gary, the right question is "How?" How do I deal with this in Christ?" Life sometimes comes down to that simple question. "How?"

I have tried to pass on Tommy's wisdom over the years. Nothing ever catches God by surprise. God will get His share of the blame for the tragedy today. "Why did God allow this to happen?" some will ask. Why this person die or that one? But the real question will be how do we go on from here. I encourage you to pray specifically for all affected to know how to go on from this horrible tragedy and loss of young lives. The master Healer did not cause this heartache. He wants to be in the middle of it all as the ONE who knows "How."

"Since you are my rock and my fortress, for the sake of your name lead and guide me. Free me from the trap that is set for me, for you are my refuge. Into your hands I commit my spirit; redeem me, O Lord, the God of truth." Psalm of David 31:3-5
:: posted by Gary Wright, 8:24 PM

2 Comments:

So true, So true

"How" not "why"
Blogger Donna, at April 16, 2007 at 10:46 PM  
Gary,
My Sr. year at Haviland High was Tommy's last. He was sick that year but was on the stage to hand me my diploma. I remeber his handshake well and the impact he has made in me and in my home town. His wife, Arlene, was my second Grade teacher. She taught all those years with a Bible laid on the corner of her desk and each afternoonm she would read us a story. I still remeber when she read us the story of Esther. I loved rerading the story of your visitn with him today. Thanks! God, raise up more "Tommys" for such a time as this!
PS. We have two girls (a senior and a freshman) from our congregation who are attending VT -both are safe.

David Crisp
Mecahnicsville VA
(by way of Haviland)
Anonymous Anonymous, at April 17, 2007 at 11:07 AM  

Add a comment