World Renewal International

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Am I Really Out of Touch or What?



It has been a long time since I was able to write to those of you who pray and think of us. I am hoping my traveling can be more friendly in the future to this blog site. Thank you for your patience and not giving up on us.
[Doug Newnum leads worship at New Life]



We had a wonderful time in Virginia being a part of the tenth anniversary celebration of New Life Community Church, Ridge Way, Virginia. The worship band Renewal was as good on Saturday night and Sunday morning as I have heard them. Oh they have been better muscially they would be quick to tell you but, I really felt the Lord as they sang on Sunday morning and in the second half of the service Saturday night. Their remakes of "In the Sweet By and By," and "Where Could I Go But To The Lord," are really sweet and this church really loved them. Me too. The travel is tough on them. We have been doing this together for 18 years. They work hard so they can leave their jobs and families then travel for 12 hours with little sleep, get to the church with little time to set up their sound equipment and instruments and try to get comfortable with their sound. It is not easy. I looked at them when they arrived and could read their body language. These are good men who do tough stuff for Jesus. Thanks for the weekend Gary Jones, Doug Newnum, Steve Lindley, Mike Cruse and Dan Downer. Of course they will not read this because they are too busy trying to make up for being gone. How about you asking God to bless them? Thanks!




There is a phrase in the New Testament, it appears twice in the KJV and once in the NIV. "Many are called, but few are chosen." Matthew 20:16 KJV. "Many are invited but few are chosen." Matthew 22:14 NIV. I was reminded of these verses during the weekend in Virginia. Saturday night I had a clear witness in my heart that someone I was preaching to was "called to preach" themselves. It was a youth event, but all ages were there. At least two people made commitments for His service in some way.
[Pastor Terry Knighten and myself, I am holding a rock that is from Pastor Terry's "Prayer Spot" on the side of the hill on the church property he presented to me. He knew I collect rocks from my travels as prayer reminders.]

I was reminded how hard it is in our culture for anyone, especially youth, to say, "God has called me to preach." It is just not politically okay to say that. So they say, "Youth Ministry, Ministry, maybe Pastor." Never do I hear "preach." I am not saying people are not called to do those things. Nevertheless, when you look at all the churches across the country and around the world there are millions of people preaching. God needs gifted anointed preachers! How many people miss their purpose in life because they were not "chosen" in spite of the fact they were "called". I believe they were not "chosen" because they never said, "Yes!"




I remember the night in Trueblood Field House in Richmond, Indiana August of 1966 when I sensed the Lord ask me, "Gary, I have called you to preach the Gospel, will you do it?" I would not have felt more honored if I had been asked to be President of the United States! In fact, purely hypothetical for sure, if I was asked to do the later, I would have to turn it down. I do not say it in arrogance or pride, I feel I have a higher calling that I must answer too. I have to do a lot of stuff at my job. Some of it I really feel inadequate doing it. I feel that way about preaching at times but I know He asked me to do it and He will help me do it. Oh, I know the Matthew passage is about God calling people to Himself in a more general way but it is so true about the preaching ministry. There was a time when parents and grandparents felt pride if their children or grandchildren felt "called." Christian college staff tell me that students greatest opposition to ministry today is from their families! Financial security is often the reason for not going into ministry. Am I just getting old and out of touch or what? Come to think of it, 1966 was not a good time to tell people you were a preacher either. Maybe I have always been out of touch. Thanks for stopping by.


:: posted by Gary Wright, 6:51 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment