World Renewal International

Tuesday, May 1, 2007

"Now That I Am Old and Gray"


When I was 18 I adopted a life verse. I wrote about it on April 10 at this site and this is what I said,
"My life verse is found in 2 Corinthians 12:9 "It simply says God's power shows up best in weakness." I was 18 years old when I first read that with understanding. I remember thinking, "If that verse is true, I really have a chance to be used of God." I stood in the aisle of South Meridian Church of God in Anderson, Indiana, and said, "God, I believe your word is true, I take this verse and claim it for as long as I live." I have claimed that verse over and over in the 37 years since that day of February 1970. I noticed the word "best" in the LBT. I am not sure what I might have done "best" in anything. I do know there are things I do better than other things I do and those things I do best seem to really involve Him. It seems to me there is self-confidence and then there is Christ-confidence. Christ-confidence is what I believe he can do through me. There is no question in my mind which has worked best for me down through the years. How about you?

I will be 56 in June. Over the last couple of weeks God has given me another life verse. I think this one is for the home-stretch. It is Psalm 71:18. Even the verse before 18 is true in my life. I was blessed to have a childhood surrounded by Godly family who loved Jesus and loved me. It reads, "Oh God, you taught me from my earliest childhood, and I have constantly told others about the wonderful things you do." I believe this is my testimony. I started telling my friends about Jesus when I was in grade school. My dad had to caution me during this period about being too aggressive in my evangelism. He said I was being a little too persuasive in bringing children into our house to accept Christ. He said I needed to allow the Holy Spirit to speak to their heart and that I should not put so much pressure on them. Dad was an evangelist himself so I must have been really over doing it!

Now I have stood in auditoriums and open air meetings and gatherings all over the world "constantly" telling people how great God is. I have really tried to find the best and most effective ways to influence people to become Christ followers. God has blessed many of those efforts. I have seen their faces change as the wonderful witness of God's Spirit conveyed the sweet relief of forgiven sin and the joy of eternal salvation. I have seen their faces break into smiles, laughter or tears of joy.
Now these days I am concerned about finishing the race. I want to finish strong. However, I am still well qualified for 2 Corinthians 12:9. That is still scary to me. I feel I need Him more than ever! Men and women who think because God has used them they are somehow immune to the enemy's tricks! Well I have seen their lives of sorrow and despair. I do not wish to join them.

Therefore, the Lord seems to have given me this verse to claim and comfort my heart. "Now that I am old and gray, do not abandon me, O God. Let me proclaim your power to this new generation, your mighty miracles to all who come after me." Psalm 71:18. With all my heart I pray, "Thank you my precious Lord Jesus, I really needed that, I really need you Lord Jesus." Does this make sense to you?
Thanks for stopping by.
:: posted by Gary Wright, 8:42 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment