World Renewal International

Monday, July 2, 2007

"Gene, you can't let him drive the truck."


A friend from college called me last week and told me this story. He was one of the members to the first ministry team I ever served with. James stayed at our house one summer. He worked with my father during the day in construction work. My dad was a bi-vocational minister most of my life during the time I lived at home. He was a pastor on Sundays and evenings and then did construction work during the week. One day James asked my dad if he could borrow the truck for a date that night. Dad said, "Okay." [Pictured-James the year this story took place.]

Later, that night my mother asked James what he was getting all dressed up for. James explained to her he had a date and was going to use the truck. Soon, James could hear mom telling my dad that he should not let James use the truck for his date. James assumed that mom was just giving him a hard time. James had upset my parents with some of his late night hours. James could hear mom telling dad, "Gene, you can't let him use the truck!" Dad said, "But I promised him he could have it." Mom said, "Then,let him have our car, but do not let him drive the truck." As James listened to there conversation he was surprised by the reason mom did not want him to use the truck. Soon dad was explaining to James he could not drive the truck but could take their car on the date. So after Dad lectured James on driving safely, James took the car on his date.

The next morning James and dad had gone down the road only a couple of miles in the truck to work when dad said, "James, do you hear that? Do you feel that?" "No," James said. They stopped and checked the truck. They found one wheel that was about to fall off! There was only one lug nut holding the entire wheel onto the car!
Dad went around and took one lug nut from every wheel and secured the shaky wheel so they could get to safety. "James, I don't think you would have heard or felt that wheel before it fell off the truck on your date last night!" Dad said. James agreed.
The reason mom did not want James to take the truck, James had heard mom explaining to dad was that the Lord had told her there would be a problem with the truck. She was insisting he use the family car, but not the truck. James said to me on the phone, "I think your momma saved my life!" James is a pastor in Lyons, Georgia today. Many people have come to know Jesus because of James Aycock's ministry.

When momma told me, "The Lord is telling me...." She always had my attention. Thanks momma. Thanks for living a life listening to the Lord Jesus and explaining to me along the way how to listen too. I'm tying to listen Momma.
Thanks for stopping by.
:: posted by Gary Wright, 8:28 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment