World Renewal International

Friday, February 12, 2010

Love One Another As I Have Loved You


Recently a friend wrote and described to me their hurt and frustration. Illness had changed their ability to go to the church they had attended for almost two decades. No one from the church called or checked to see what had happened. Loss of ministry opportunity also added to feeling a lack of purpose. They were asking me "Where is the 'family' aspect of the body of Christ?" This is how I responded to my friend:
[Tele Moraes, Gary and a Brazilian radio broadcaster at breakfast, just talking.]
I do not doubt for one moment that your experiences are true and just as you described. I believe it is part of our fast paced culture and win at all costs mentality that causes even church people and we leaders to overlook those we love and care for. I have done this as a pastor and leader. I fail people too.

I recommend turning the energy and passion of your hurt against the devil. Go the second mile in how you treat people like family. That is what I try to do. I love long term, family type relationships. I work at trying to extend them. I feel I must be an initiator of treating people "as I would want to be treated." It takes the long term but often there are even some short-term victories.

I believe God blesses our effort. I try to treat people as if they are what I think they can be, even if they are not there yet. It allows potential to become hope, hope to become a manifested reality. It does not always work out that way. But even a small percentage creates such powerful change with Christ.

Jesus told his followers to "Love each other as I have loved you." John 15:12 NIV Jesus never seemed to be in a hurry when talking to folks. I do not think people feel that way about me. Lord help me, please!
Thanks for stopping by.
:: posted by Gary Wright, 2:34 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment