World Renewal International

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Things I Want My Children And Grandchildren To Know #1


Things I Want My Children And Grandchildren To Know.
One of my earliest memories is the day I asked the Lord Jesus to forgive me of my sin, and then I asked Him into my heart.
My dad [pictured holding me] pastored Grant City Friends Church north of Knightstown, Indiana. He was making a pastoral call to an elderly lady in the church who was home but dying of some illness. I think her name was Maude Chew. She lived near Shirley, Indiana. It was only about 5 miles from our house in Wilkinson. She lived on a farm and had barnyard animals.
I was four years old. I do not know the date but I think it was a Saturday. Dad was a stone and brick mason during daylight hours of the week. However, since his call to preach, he was always “on” when it came to ministry. I think he was making this ministry call on the weekend. This was dad’s first pastorate. He started the year I was born.

Dad was reading scripture about heaven to the dying woman. She was a believer so it was encouragement to her. My father was good at talking about heaven. I remember, them laughing and talking joyfully about her near future in heaven.

However, the talk was not received with joy by me as I overheard the “gospel”. I was overhearing this as I went in and out of the house, I was interested in the barnyard animals. I found the talk of death and end of life troubling. Soon we were back in the car and headed home.

I remember standing up in the back of the car leaning over the front bench seat as dad drove. No, there were no seat belts then. I was greatly troubled and distressed about what I had overheard. They were rejoicing about her dying and going to heaven. I just felt guilty about my sin. Heaven was not a place I felt I was going.

As we reached the curve on the Shirley-Wilkinson Road I said, “Dad, I want to get saved.” It must have caught him off-guard as he said, “Well, do you think you can wait until we get home?” I said, “Yes,” but I remember dad stopping at the intersection of St. Road 109 and the Shirley Road in Wilkinson and thinking, “Dad don’t pull out in front of anyone, I am not ready to go to heaven!”

We pulled up in front of our house in Wilkinson and we went in. Dad dragged the old gold footstool out and suggested we kneel and pray. I remember with his encouragement, I asked Jesus to forgive my sin and come into my heart. Then dad assured me I had done what God required of me according to the Bible. I remember standing up and thinking, “That was too easy.” Looking back, it is too easy compared to the cost at Calvary. Jesus Christ has made it as easy as possible for us.

Now, you may think, “How could a child of four understand such things?” Let’s, just say that if you were raised by Eugene and Barbara Wright, you were immersed in Jesus talk and expression. I have also come to believe that overhearing the gospel is one of the most effective ways to encounter Jesus Christ.

My dad was just doing his job; he was making a pastoral call. But as was his habit, he took me with him. God truly blesses us when we are doing right things even when it is just what seems required of us. Erwin McManus calls it miracles in the mundane of everyday life. I call it the day my dad influenced me to give my heart to Jesus. My mom had been doing daily devotionals with me. She was a stay-at-home mom who read children’s stories about children who lived for Jesus, “Little Susie and Friends” was just one series she used.

That day, and the good in the days of my life since, are a direct result of these two Jesus passionate people I call mom and dad. I miss them every day. They are just in a “country” [Hebrews 11:14-16]" a prepared place, a heavenly homeland" that does not receive phone calls. I really would like a phone call though.

I just wanted you to know these things.
:: posted by Gary Wright, 2:22 PM

3 Comments:

Very nice, Dad. Thanks for writing this.
Blogger Socrates43, at January 20, 2011 at 2:55 PM  
How fortunate you are to have such parents. Wow!

I know many people do question a young child's heart towards the knowledge of Christ, but the Bible surely says come to me as little children. I think they have a much deeper understanding than we give them credit for.

My own daughter accepted Christ at three and just months later asked to, "Get baptized in the water". We had never discussed it (baptism) with her before and still don't know how the idea entered her mind. When we asked what it meant though she said it was meant if we love Jesus we follow Him. Yep, that was at 3! She was baptized shortly after.

Thank you for sharing your story. I'm sure it will be a treasure to your family.
Blogger Amy's Blah, Blah, Blogging, at January 20, 2011 at 3:39 PM  
Great story to leave with those who come after you and all who read and hear. I have heard you tell this story several times. I like it. Some kids have a greater sense of God's presence than others at a very young age. I did. If others were to tell their story, they too might tell of very young thoughts. Me...I didn't know what to do with mine.
God bless. Helen T
Anonymous Helen Thomas, at January 21, 2011 at 2:00 PM  

Add a comment