World Renewal International

Friday, February 11, 2011

I couldn't believe it happened to me Things I Want My Children and Grandchildren to Know #12

In my self-centered world of despair, the Lord had mercy on me. It was Wednesday, February 4, 1970 of the 2nd day of the revival at Asbury College. I had stayed up all night in Hughs Auditorium experiencing the most exciting event I had ever been a part of. People were giving their testimonies, asking for prayer for themselves and others, singing praises to God at the top of their lungs. It was just awesome.

Prayers seemed to be answered quickly. In the land of Narnia, Aslan was on the move! We were on the move. We were all swept up in it. The floodgates of heaven were open! It was raining answered prayer as people were coming to Christ on that campus and wherever the witnesses of this God power-driven event could tell it. I am told that witnesses began to broadcast on the short-wave radio to missionaries that revival had broken out on the campus. As the message spread it was overheard by fishermen in the Pacific Ocean on their boats, some came to saving grace of Jesus Christ. It was on! It felt like we were living the pages of the New Testament. No one wanted to miss a report or miracle. It was riveting.

Finally, reluctantly, I headed to my dorm room for some sleep. It had been 24 hrs. I slept about 4 hrs., showered and hurried back to the auditorium. The Head Resident of my dorm was sharing his testimony as I found a seat on the right as I entered. He was not a college student but attended Asbury Seminary across the street.

He said something like this, “God has just done something wonderful for me, he has filled me with his Spirit.” He stated several things he already knew were new and rejoiced at God’s presence in His life. Well, I was glad for him, but it somewhat stole the joy for me.

I had heard all my life, because of my parents and family, the theology that a Christian needs to be “filled with the Spirit.” I think I understood my dad’s preaching on the subject. He said, basically, that after one accepts Christ we have the third person of the Trinity in our life. However, does He really have us? Acts 2 was recited and used to show that believers could have additional power in their lives if they would truly make Him Lord of their life and not just the Savior who forgave us of their sins. The struggle Paul describes in Romans 7 with the “Things I don’t want to do, I do and the things I want to do, I don’t do” are answered in Romans 8 with the Lordship making way for the power of the Spirit to give us strength. I knew this, this had never happened to me, and my daddy had something of God that I did not have when it came to the power and victory of Jesus Christ in my life.

I also was aware of the theological controversy of the Holy Spirit among serious Christ followers. Here was an area where many disagreed and went their various denominational or non-denominational ways. I was aware that some emphasized the spiritual gifts as a sign of this infilling. My daddy used to say, “Seek the giver, not the gifts, let Him take care of the giving.”

As I sat in chapel that Wednesday afternoon I sensed the Lord saying, “Wouldn’t you like to have that power of Me in your life?” “Oh, yes! I said, but not me Lord. It could not happen to me.“ I felt I was too much of a mess up.

I had been filling pulpits of country churches for preaching even before I got my driver’s license. It was like God turned on a video and I started seeing faces of people in the churches where I had preached. My desire was to be used of the Lord but I could not think of one person who had sought the Lord as a result of my preaching. “Wouldn’t you have like to have helped them?” I sensed Him saying. I really sensed Him leading me in that direction, but I thought, “Does this really exist? Is there something He can do to me? I’m a mess.” “If I go to the altar, everyone will think I am a backslidden preacher.” Funny, I had just gone to the altar to pray in front of everyone the day before because I was a backslidden preacher.

I decided I had nothing to lose but my pride. I got up and walked to the altar and knelt and said, “God, I do not know if anything of this "being filled with the Spirit" exists. I don’t know if you can make me different, but if anyone ever needed you to change them, it is me. But Lord, if this (meaning what my dad and others had preached and testified to) does not exist and I just need to try harder to please you and obey you, I will just keep trying.” It was not a great prayer of faith I suppose, but it was totally sincere. I told Him he could do anything He wanted to do with me. I felt such despair about my condition and awareness that I failed Him daily.

In my heart and spirit, I sensed that God had heard me and that He was sending something my way. I felt like a catcher who was waiting for the ball after the pitcher had thrown it. Suddenly, a shot of overwhelming joy and energy went through my inmost being. I jumped to me feet and shouted a yell of victory. I didn’t really mean to, it just came out. A senior from my dorm had knelt next to me to pray with me. He said, “Ought oh! We have a shouting Quaker!”

I felt like and overflowing fountain, such a mixture of joy, peace and strength. I hugged a few people and walked back to a middle aisle seat and sat down. As I walked I kept thinking that what I felt inside was familiar. “Where have I experienced this before?” And then it registered, “This new I felt inside of me was what I had felt around my dad all my life.” He just seemed to have something, a presence. And now, I knew it was in me! Me! Oh, anyone else could have such, but not me!” I wept openly for joy. I weep now as I type. I am so unworthy that He would put Himself in me, …. but he has.

As I sat there in my seat it was if I was a tank being filled with living water. I thought, "Oh, no, I am going to cause a commotion." I really am not sure what a commotion is but I was filling up with joy and it was about to come out. I headed for the door. As I made the front steps of Hughs Auditorium I let out a shout of joy, then another. I was bursting with joy. I ran down the steps and down the sidewalk. It was pure joyful energy and I was overflowing.

As I went, I met a lady on the faculty. I never liked her much, but she seemed fine now. “I said, “God just filled me with the Spirit!” She said, “Yes, I can tell.” I really did not know what to do with myself. I was just walking, praising God and letting out this energy of joy I felt in my heart. I walked down to the IGA grocery store and walked up and down the aisles of can goods. I do not know why I went there. I just kept shouting shots of victory. Whatever, I had, it was Him and I was His and He was mine.

I then headed back to my dorm room. I thought maybe I could settle down a bit. I just lay in bed and every once in a while the joyful energy would overflow and I would shout again. I cried and wept for joy, whatever this was, I knew I could not be the same again. I also knew it was not based on emotions, this came from something other than me.

I did not know that day, it would just get better. I did not know that from that from that day on when I stood before people He would be with me in a way that would change lives. No, the joyful, overwhelming energy is not felt like it was that day, but I wore a new brand. I was not mine, I was His. I love it!

I do not share this hoping someone may have the same or similar experience. If you don't believe it, that is between you and the Lord. I would rather you had a personal, unique experience between you and the Lord that convinced you that God can meet you deepest need and empower you to be all that God has planned for you to be. All I know is that I have never been the same, I am still understanding what He can do in and through me. I do know the less of me and the more of Him the better. We are still working on that. To you who read this I say, "Take what you need from my witness, leave what you don't" Blessings!
:: posted by Gary Wright, 12:16 PM

1 Comments:

Gary, your accounts of your experience of revival are priceless. Yesterday I read through most of the book of Acts. This morning I've been reading your "revival" blogs. I'm looking forward to the next chapter of revival in my life and in IYM.
Anonymous Doug Shoemaker, at February 24, 2011 at 10:03 AM  

Add a comment